Over-indulgence on meaty proteins over the past couple of weeks spurred a family decision to try out some vegetarian delicacies this weekend. Inspired by the Domestic Geek’s Youtube recipe, we chose to try out this incredible Carrot & Ginger soup. Not only was the recipe easy to make, it tasted delectable. Due to the lack of greens, the soup was accompanied by a Broccoli-Pomegranate Parmesan Salad and Colombian coffee.
- 3 Medium carrots
- 3 Medium shallots
- Generous shreds of ginger root
- Salt (as needed)
- Black pepper (as needed)
- Nutmeg (1/4 tsp)
- Coriander leaves
- Canola oil (2 tbsp)
- Greek yogurt (1/2 cup)
- Heat your favorite oil in a deep pan and sweat onions.
- Once translucent, mix in diced carrots and generous shreddings of ginger roots.
- Once the ginger flavor is infused and smell wafts, pour in water or stock. I used water, but the original recipe recommended chicken stock.
- Cover the pan and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add salt and a dash of nutmeg. If more peppery flavor is desired, add more crushed black pepper at this stage.
- Employ a hand blender at this stage and blend till desired consistency. I opted for a very creamy texture.
- Pour into a soup bowl and drop a dollop of Greek yogurt in the middle.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and ginger root shavings.